Thursday, February 19

things i miss

Thursday, February 19
Grocery shopping, or boodschappen, is different here.

Some things I have noticed. Paprika flavored chips are really popular. There are actually a lot of cool chip flavors, including one called "Cool American" which I suspect is rather similar to our "Cool Ranch." People really like chocolate/hazelnut spread. I can't believe Nutella isn't more popular back home. And I never knew there were so many kinds of cheese. French fries are served with anything and everything, including formal dinners. And I have received numerous sandwiches adorned with cucumbers.

Aside from the exciting new flavors of foods, shopping for food here is kind of a beast. For one, we can't read the instructions on anything. Or for that matter even know what we are buying...for instance, tonight a supposed batch of chicken nuggets turned out to be sausage pieces! It's really kind of fun though. I know I am becoming more adventurous with the foods I eat out of necessity, and that's okay.

But what I miss the most about America right now will seem soooo simple and funny to you. It's grocery baggers. Here in Europe, there are none. In fact, you even have to bring your own bags. So shopping is a little crazy here-- you have to hurry and stuff everything into whatever sack you have before the next person in line can start their transaction. It's crazy! I can't believe there is a place where not only do they bag your groceries for you, they even volunteer to push your cart to your car and put the bags in your trunk!!

So does that make us lazy Americans? I don't think so. I think that people are more independent here than I had imagined. And things that we consider "services" seem to be things Europeans never really envisioned someone else doing for them. But Americans are more independent in other senses- like pride in your own car. Here, public transportation is the main and popular way of getting around. And it's efficient. But at home, being able to drive oneself somewhere is a privilege and made convenient. It's interesting to compare the differences between cultures like this-- and to see that there are pluses and negatives on both sides!

0 comments: