Thursday, March 5

hungary hungary hippo

Thursday, March 5
For some reason, Budapest felt familiar to me. I'm not sure why, and I know it was supposed to be the most different stop on our trip, but I was reminded of the States. It also had some of the coolest buildings. We arrived at our hostel when it was dark, and had to figure out how to find the Metro and get to our hostel- Maverick Hostel.

The building (above) was right near the Metro exit, which was really nice. Inside was a 24-hour grocery. I didn't feel unsafe at all, actually. We entered this enormous former reception area, and climbed the massive stairway to the hostel rooms.

Talk about cool. We were in a huge room with a loft! Three of us, me, Kathy, and Rachel, slept up on the loft. The two nice guys that ran the place had free coffee and tea and internet for us...sweet. I would definitely recommend this place for groups- it was near a Metro, a bus stop, shops and food, and a block away from the Danube River.


Once settled, we pursued that familiar quest once again: food. The place we wanted to try was either locked or impossible to enter, so we wandered around and were saved, yet again, by someone outside of a restaurant trying to convince us to come in. The price was good (at least as far as we could tell with the insane 280 Forint = 1 Euro conversion, which is really my only complaint about Budapest), so we followed the man down some stairs...and more stairs...and basically through some sort of empty crypt or dungeon to a cozy, warm restaurant. There was live piano music (again, familiar American movie tunes) and nice waiters trying their best to speak English for us.

I tried goulash, which was so delicious! Please be proud- I have been trying new foods everywhere! We went to bed full and sleepy, and woke up ready for a new day of enjoying this beautiful city!

0 comments: