Wednesday, April 1

volcanoes

Wednesday, April 1
March 31:

I climbed a volcano today! We (Kathy, Caroline, Amanda, Kaitlyn, and me) started out on the way to Vesuvius and one of the hostel hosts was leaving at the same time. David took the time to walk us to our metro stop and waited until we got on our train...soo nice.

We ended up taking a bus to the volcano with a nice guy from New York who grew up in Russia. He had been waiting since early morning to find enough people so the bus could finally take him. In a nutshell, it was the craziest bus ride I have ever had! The driver was insanely fast. And really, all driving in Naples is insane. You are more likely to get run over here than in New York- especially by one of thousands of motorcycles. Naples is very industrialized and busy, and also a very old town.

Anyway, we (barely) survived the bus and had to hike about 20 minutes up to the opening of the crater once we arrived. As we hiked, the path seemed longer and longer and we thought once or twice about despairing. However, being passed by a group of energetic elderly people made us realize we should be able to make it.

There were masses of French schoolchildren on some lucky field trip but that didn't detract from the amazingness. The view was incredible. Mount Vesuvius is right on the coast and it wasn't too foggy. It did rain a little.

After another crazy bus ride back, we took a confusing journey to Pompeii itself- the ruins of a past community destroyed by a volcanic eruption. I had been waiting to see this city since I first read about it. My high expectations were not disappointed.

I can't even express how stunningly well-preserved the city is. The layout of the city is clear and many walls, pillars, and pots are still there.

I don't know how all this survived. I wish I could show you pictures!!! (Later edit: now I can!) Pompeii was incredible.

It rained off and on but eventually the clouds parted to reveal a blue sky. We took shelter in a bath that was being renovated.

Some of the skeletons preserved with plaster were displayed...they were a poignant and terrifying sight. I don't know how I feel about the fact that these people are frozen in the positions instinct or faith motivated them to move as they encountered death- some cowering, some hugging the floor, some sitting and praying.

I am still amazed at what I was able to see and explore. Far from roped off, the ruins were almost completely open.

Tragically, Caroline twisted her ankle and so we headed back to the hostel. On the way, two very sweet Italian women made conversation on the metro with as much English as they knew. One was from Venice and the other Milan. I used some Spanish knowledge to make out some of what they were saying. Public transportation is one of the best ways to get to know locals!

The rest of us went out to see a castle on the coast and then bought some pasta and veggies at a nearby market to make dinner. We got ready for our next trip (a ferry to Greece).

Some of the other guests at the hostel (college kids like us) were playing Twister so I joined in for a little while-- so fun!! And now I am actually writing this about to leave for warmer weather. Ciao!

0 comments: